Art + Dementia
This free program aims to create new connections and life-enriching experiences through contemporary art for people living with dementia and their care partners.
The Art and Dementia program provides people living with dementia with an opportunity to connect with the world in enriching and life-enhancing ways. People living with dementia often become isolated.
A discussion-based tour of works of art provides intellectual stimulation and social inclusion. Participants are able to contribute knowledge, engage in interpretation, express emotions and recall memories. Participation can lead to an increase in wellbeing and quality of life.
The Art and Dementia program includes a variety of tours to suit people with different living arrangements and capabilities. The Port Pirie Regional Gallery works closely with community-based health professionals, residential care providers and directly with people living with dementia in the community to provide the program.
Aims of the Art and Dementia program:
- To promote wellbeing and quality of life through engagement with the visual arts.
- To provide intellectual stimulation in a socially inclusive environment.
- To reconnect people living with dementia to their sense of identity.
- To build community arts and health partnerships to improve the care for people living with dementia.
- To raise awareness of and reduce the social stigma associated with dementia.
The Port Pirie Regional Gallery’s philosophy for all access programs is reflected in the Art and Dementia tours, which focus on the participants’ abilities – abilities that often elicit surprise or joy in their carers.
Join us in one of the tours the Gallery offers for individuals and their carer, community groups or residential care groups.
Gallery & Cultural Arts Coordinator
Port Pirie Regional Council
115 Ellen Street, Port Pirie (PO Box 45) SA 5540
Tel (08) 8633 8724 Mob 0428 085 788